Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Strange Experience #15

I began hearing audio tones in my ear about 35 years ago. It is not tinnitus or the symptom commonly referred to as "ringing in the ears." The sounds I hear reminds me of an audio test that I had to take while in the Navy to qualify for standing watches on passive Sonar gear. The tone begins very low and increases until I become aware of it. In no way is it uncomfortable or painful. It goes on for 20 to 30 seconds and then fades away. There is no pattern to the tone’s timing. Sometimes weeks go by without hearing it, and sometimes I’ll hear it two or three times a week. And sometimes two or three times in a day. And sometimes I don't hear tones at all for weeks at a time. A few times I have awakened in the middle of the night with a very loud, intense tone in my ear. It usually fades away as I become aware of it, if that makes any sense.

No comments: